Level 3 Diploma for the Children’s Workforce (Early Years Educator)
This qualification is designed to cover everything you need to become an Early Years Educator. You will learn how to provide a safe, nurturing and supportive environment for children aged between 0-5 during this important stage of their development. The course will enable you to work with and care for children from birth to 5 years, and you will also gain knowledge of children aged 5-7 years.
- Understanding child development
- Support the holistic development of children
- Safeguarding and child protection in early years
- Promote the health, safety and welfare of young children
- Support the health, wellbeing and physical care needs of children in early years settings
- Equality, diversity and inclusion in early years settings
- Support positive behaviour in children
- Support children with additional support needs
- Support attachment when working with children in early years settings
- Support children through transitions
- Plan, lead and evaluate purposeful play activities to support children’s learning and development
- Support the development of reading, literacy and mathematical skills in early years settings
- Extending children’s learning and thinking in early years settings
- Assessment and observation in early years settings
- Recording, storing, reporting and sharing information in early years settings
- Working in partnership with colleagues, professionals and key individuals in early years settings
- Continuing professional development in early years education
Achievement of the qualification requires a minimum of 350 hours of work experience. Learners who have no previous experience of working with children are recommended to spend at least 400 hours in a real work environment.
As the qualification covers working with children from birth to 5 years old; therefore, learners must have gain experience of working with children across age ranges of:
- birth to 1 year and 11 months
- 2 years to 2 years 11 months
- 3 to 5 years.
Learners who are already working within the children’s workforce will be able to use their ongoing experience in their work environment to enable them to achieve the skills and competences required. Written assignments, group discussions and presentations will also be used as assessment methods.
The qualification is suitable for learners of 16 years of age and above.
There are no specific entry requirements however learners should have a minimum of level two in
Literacy and numeracy or equivalent. There is not a requirement for learners to have GCSE grades A*–C in English and maths prior to commencing this qualification however learners should be aware that this is required to attain Early Years Educator status.
It is not essential for learners to be in employment to undertake this qualification but they must have access to a suitable workplace to be able to meet the work experience requirements,.
Successful learners can progress to other qualifications such as:
Level 4 Diploma in Leadership and Management
Level 5 Award in Leadership and Management
Level 5 Diploma in Leadership for Health and Social Care and Children and Young
People’s Services (England)
Foundation Degree in Early Years or Early Years Care and Education